Lentil Vegetable Super Soup
Lentil-Vegetable Super Soup
This nourishing soup contains not only healthy amounts of iron and calcium but also a big dose of complete protein, thanks to the beans and rice. Try the crumbled seaweed garnish on other soups and stews.
Ingredient List Serves 10
• 2 Tbs. oil (I use olive oil)
• 1 onion, chopped
• 5 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 cups red lentils (I use whole lentil as well)
• 10 – 12 cups water (more or less depending on how thick or thin you like your soup)
• 2 vegetable bouillon cubes (I use 3 cubes – I like McCormick Brand)
• 3 medium-sized carrots – chopped small
• 3 celery stalks, sliced – chopped small
• 1 15-oz. can navy beans (washed and drained)
• 2 -15-oz. cans stewed or diced tomatoes
• 1/4 cup dry brown rice
• 1/2 cup white wine – optional (I don’t use it) add more water instead
• 1/2 tsp. dried thyme (1 put 1 tsp)
• 1/2 tsp. dried basil (1 put 1 tsp)
• Dash of oregano (I put ½ tsp)
• OPTIONAL: I add ½ tsp or less of chilli pepper (I like it spicy)
• OPTIONAL: I add 1 tbsp of Braggs liquid soy seasoning while sautéing the onion/garlic.
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
• 1 0.2-oz. pkg. dried nori seaweed, crumbled for garnish (I don’t use)
1. Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Sauté onion and garlic about 5 minutes, or until tender. Add Braggs liquid Soy if using, carrots and celery and sauté for another few minutes. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and cook for 90 minutes or until rice and vegetables are tender.
2. To serve, ladle portions into individual bowls, and sprinkle with dried seaweed.
ALSO PER SERVING: 93MG CALCIUM; 5MG IRON; 0 IU VITAMIN D; 0MCG VITAMIN B12;
Nutritional InformationPer SERVING: Calories: 297, Protein: 18g, Total fat: 4g, Carbs:
50g, Cholesterol: mg, Sodium: 599mg, Fiber: 18g, Sugars: 7g
TIPS Use a large stock pot it makes a lot ENJOY!!!
Click here to print a copy of the recipe